Our successful wildlife reserve has been open to the public for over 45 years and currently has some permanent part time positions available. As we are 20 minutes drive from Upper Hutt, in the beautiful Akatarawa Valley, good reliable transport is a must. You need to be available to work one day in the weekend as well as school and public holidays. It will be a minimum of 25 hours a week starting at 8.00am. There is some flexibility in the days.
The role involves:
- Feeding and cleaning of the animals and enclosures
- Moving stock as required
- Grooming enclosures and other areas to ensure they are neat and tidy for our visitors
- Basic maintenance
- Using equipment such as leaf blower, lawn mower, chain saw etc
- Ensuring all our customers are wowed by their experience at the park
You will need to show:
- Good eye for detail and observation skills
- An interest in wildlife and conservation
- A stable work record ie minimum of 2 years with one employer
- Knowledge of animal welfare issues and current industry best practice
- Good attitude towards your work colleagues and workplace
- Understanding of the importance of health and safety in the workplace
- Ability to follow workplace procedures and paper work as required
The position could be primarily animal and bird related or be more involved with gardening and park presentation depending on the applicants abilities. Either way you will be regularly interacting with our customers so you must have a personable manner and enjoy working with people. Your ability to communicate with a wide range of people will be critical to your success at Staglands.
Part of your job will involve the tractor trailer rides so tractor experience would be an advantage, but training can be given to someone with the right attitude. Awareness of the importance of adhering to safety procedures is essential.
This is a physical job. There is lifting involved and a good level of fitness is essential. You must be able to prove you can work outside in all weathers and dig deep when the going gets tough.
You need NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa plus a full NZ driver’s license. Anyone looking for short term work need not apply.
If you think this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you. Please email your CV with two referees to email@example.com. We will acknowledge we have received your application but will only get back to those we wish to interview.